Ten Things Every Home Seller Should Know
- Now that you have decided to move, whether because of a transfer or move to a smaller or larger house, the first thing you need to do is to choose the area you want to move to, to determine the average price of homes in the area and work out what financing you can afford.
- Make a list including:
(a) the inclusions and exclusions of your home (the items you are willing or not willing to sell with your home);
(b) a pre-home inspection report, if completed; and
(c) a list of any known problems (i.e. leaking basement, UFFI).
- Have all necessary documents ready, including mortgage information, tax assessment info, surveys, maintenance fee papers and management company information (for condos).
- Have a list of improvements and upgrades completed (what was done, when and where).
- Have a garage sale and throw out things that you no longer use, which add clutter to a home and makes it less appealing. Ask me for complimentary garage sale signs.
- The exterior appearance of your home or "curb appeal" is very important and will bring you extra dollars. Your home should look well-maintained and your lawn and gardens well-cared for.
- Interior appearance is very important as well. "Pride of Ownership" is what impresses purchasers. Walls should be clean and unmarked, kitchens and bathrooms sparkling clean, and appliances dusted clean. Make it look like a clean, clutter-free and inviting home.
- There are a number of helpful things you can do around your home just prior to showing it. I will discuss the complete list of interior and exterior preparations as well as leaving you a checklist you can use.
- Choose a professional real estate agent whom you can work with well and trust - an agent whose past performance and continuous client referrals reflect the honesty, integrity and dedication of her work, as well as the experience and knowledge to obtain the best results for you.
- Set the right price. Accurately pricing your home clear reflects your motivation to sell. A fair market priced will sell faster and at a higher price, with minimum inconvenience to you. I will be happy to share my experience and knowledge with you.
Let me help you land right where you belong!
Ideas to Bring about the Quickest & Most Profitable Sale of your Home
1. LAWN: Mow, trim, prune shrubs & trees
2. FLOWERBEDS: Edged, weeded & cultivated
3. DOORS: Repair hardware & paint if necessary
4. LIGHT BULBS: Replace any burnt out bulbs
5. YARD & DRIVEWAY: Neat, free of snow & leaves
6. PET AREAS: Clean, re-sod if necessary
7. WINDOWS: Clean inside & out, repair & paint if necessary
8. FENCES & DECKS: Repair & paint/stain if necessary
9. SIDING/BRICK/STUCCO: Hose house down, repair paint if necessary
1. WALLS: Clean & unmarked, preferably freshly painted in neutral colours
2. LIGHT FIXTURES: Clean & working with fresh bulbs in each
3. SINKS & TUBS: Stain-free, fixtures clean & shiny
4. FAUCETS: In good, no-drip repair
5. CAULKING: In tubs & showers, clean & fresh
6. KITCHENS & BATHS: Sparkling clean, no clutter on countertops
7. APPLIANCES, FURNACE & WATER HEATER: Dust & clean, they will look newer
8. CREATE: A spacious feeling by moving & STORING things you don’t need
** A CLEAN HOUSE is inviting & gives the impression of being well cared for**
SOME HINTS FOR SHOWTIME…
1. Play soft music, turn off the TV
2. Wash the dishes
3. Freshen rooms, fluff pillows, make the beds
4. Fresh flowers & plants make guests feel welcome
5. Set thermostat at a comfortable temperature
6. Turn on the lights, open shades & drapes
7. Place fresh towels in the bathroom
8. Put pets outside; even the friendliest pets can become anxious when strangers appear
9. Empty wastebaskets
10. Do a once-over cleaning: vacuum, sweep & dust
11. Final check of every room
12. Fire burning in the fireplace adds warmth
** HINT: Plug in air fresheners – they make a wonderful aroma in the house **
Canadian Mortgage & Housing Corp. (CMHC)
Arranging a mortgage can be a daunting experience. Let these mortgage professionals help you negotiate the best rates.
Varan Karunanantham & Kajan Kunabalasingam
Mobile (416) 893-5447
Toll free: 1-877-366-3487
Municipal Property Assessment Corp. (MPAC)